Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Oh, The Inanity!

Bored. Sleepy. Sore. Somehow, none of this is news. And yet, here I am at the keyboard. Maybe it's as simple as it's something to do, but I think it's more about the modicum of connection it represents.
I had coffee with an old friend today. She spent last year in Austria, came home for a few months, and is moving to Ontario in a few days. I think we barely saw each other twice - and not because we didn't want to, but because we were busy and stressed and even if we did book a date, something always came up. We manage to catch up on msn most of the time, but that doesn't always work out: I found out she was moving by reading her blog. She's been dating her boyfriend for months, but today was the first time I saw a picture of him. He was here a couple months ago, too, but it never panned out to meet in person.
It's odd, the way things work out, or don't. We've been friends since we were 14, and I think we'll keep being friends, I'm just not sure what sort of spin that relationship will take. We're growing apart more than just physically (after all, she's 5'1"...wait...that wasn't what I meant?) It seems we're having a "values shift" and a lot of the core things that held us together don't seem to hold true anymore.
It's difficult to see those with whom you shared a passion compromise it for something else. I know we all make our own choices, of course, and I'm certainly not going to stop being friends with someone simply because we lose a common ground. But it makes it a lot harder, and even if we're willing, it doesn't always work out.
It seems like a lot of people have grown away, apart. Part of it's the natural progression of pairing off, having kids, that sort of thing. It leaves me feeling a bit left behind sometimes. If everyone keeps changing, and I can't get out of a rut, will I be alone?

No comments: