Saturday, September 01, 2007

Courage and Faith

It's been said that courage is not the absence of fear, but to feel the fear and go on with it anyway.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear." - Mark Twain
I hope, with every ounce of depth alloted me, that it is the same with faith. That faith is not the absence of doubt - but the choice to believe nonetheless. Because I'm overwhelmed by doubts. It's hard to remember the good things, the blessings that God's brought me in the past. That in itself makes me feel foolish - didn't I scoff, reading Exodus, that after all God had done for the Israelites, they still didn't believe him? He gave them manna, and quail when they complained of manna's blandness! How could they doubt?
How can I doubt?

....................
I've been so long in the valley
I've forgotten all the feelings of the mountain
That kept me hanging on
And I'm left to ask, how long?
'Cause I can't hear You, I can't feel You
And I'm losing faith
....................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doubts come to us all. It's easy to forget where we've come from. Don't let it stop you from believing anyway. I think we've all been there...

Faith is a fight. A fight involves knowing how to throw a punch and take one...We don't always feel strong, but in our weakness comes His strength.

2 Cor 4:8 We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. 9 We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed.