Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Kids Are Crazy...Crazy Awesome!!

I mentioned that I started a new job at a daycare, right? Well, it's after-school care, and so the kids have a set amount of homework time, and if they get their homework done, then they can play a game, but it has to be a "brain game" like Battleship or Connect 4 or anything with some minimal amount of strategy.
So, for this time, I was engaged in a Fierce Battle of chess with a seven year old (?ish?) boy. And please forgive me for this, but I was quite happy because I was actually winning. (Over the years I'd nearly entirely forgotten how to play.) But then...oh then. I think I made a stupid move, and he took out one of my queen (oy) with a pawn. And of course he's proud of himself, as well he should be, and he just looks at me and crows - "Pawned!!"
We both dissolved into giggles. It was by far the highlight of my day - and probably my week.
P.S. - Dear Grampy - In internet games and now in colloquial speech, people started saying that they'd "owned" the other player, as in totally annihilated them. Eventually, this became PWNED! which is a whole 'nother story. Trust me, though - it was really funny.

4 comments:

BritneyMarie said...

I have no idea how to play chess. I've been told it's quite simple once you get the hang of it.

I do however pwn everyone in Guitar Hero. :)

Vanessa said...

There was a vanity plate I saw not long ago on someone else's blog

WTF PWND

GREAT! I loved it!

Also? Can't play chess to save my life. Don't even know where the pieces go.

Laura said...

You are crazy. Fact :)

Anonymous said...

I haven't played chess in years and years, I wouldn't remember how. Funny story though! Glad you had a good time!