Friday, November 10, 2006

The Dance

I have this habit of forgetting about songs that I love. And then I hear it on the radio, or I see a music video, or somebody says something that reminds me.
This song...sometimes it makes me cry. But it's a good thing. I know that no matter what has happened in my life, no matter the hurts that have been caused by caring about someone, I wouldn't change it. Because I wouldn't be who I am, and I wouldn't know what I know. So yes, love hurts, in all its many varieties. And I've done some stupid things, and so have others. But I wouldn't trade it for the world.

The Dance
Garth Brooks


Lookin' back,
On the memory of
The dance we shared,
Neath the stars above
For a moment,
All the world was right
How could I have known,
That you'd ever say goodbye?

And now,
I'm glad I didn't know
The way It all would end
The way It all would go
Our lives,
Are better left to chance
I could have missed the pain,
But I'da had to miss the dance.

Holding you,
I held everything
For a moment,
Wasn't I a king?
But If I'd only known,
How the king would fall
Hey who's to say,
You know I might have changed it all

And now,
I'm glad I didn't know
The way It all would end
The way It all would go
Our lives,
Are better left to chance
I could have missed the pain,
But I'da had to miss the dance

It's my life,
It's better left to chance
I could have missed the pain
But I'da had to miss,
The dance

3 comments:

Chantaloupe? said...

You know that really speaks to me, thanks for sharing. I find it hard to see something that hurt and continues to hurt me as something I'd never want to change. But I guess the idea is to look for the blessings and growth you gained through it all. To treasure those moments? Well anyway, thank you, Heather.

Anonymous said...

You simply have to know that this song speaks worlds to me. Thanks for reminding me of it today. Believe it or not, I'm actually smiling.

Adamity73 said...

Heather:

I'm looking past the fact that Garth "Chris Brown" Brooks wrote those lyrics.

Right. It is far better to have loved and lost than to...blah blah blah. But, the axiom, the saying, the theory, of which I just typed is as true as an arrow.

One's relationships build one. 90% of them will suck ass. 5% are good, great, Got-damned fun...but they fade like sepia-toned photos.

The other 5% are the maker-breakers. (Make-or-Breakers, Grammar Frau.)

Those are the 5% of the interpersonal relationships in which the two are saying to themselves, "Holy shit. This could *go* somewhere."

But all one needs is 1%. Just one. And, to type extremely chickishly, "There is someone out there for everyone."

And. Life is good.

My too sense.

(Postscript: I'm looking for my "one," and I know that she is out there. I've Faith.)