Sunday, November 19, 2006

Double-Oh-Yum

Well, tonight we went to see the James Bond movie. (We being: Brent, Robyn, myself, Amy, Sharon, Andrew, Andrew, Becca, Emily, Lorne and his dad. Just a few...)
I'd been discussing it, before we went, with Mike, who went with his wife on Friday night. I asked what they'd thought about Craig's performance, and the feedback was positive. Mike said, "Well, Liz liked it, but that could be just because he had a great body." Good to know we girls aren't the only ones who feel a little intimidated from time to time. ;-) I wasn't too sure about Liz's opinion, and then there was this one scene...well, he's kinda naked. And he reminded me of The Thinker. It was quite impressive. Except for the fact that he was being (spoiler) tortured. I can handle quite a bit of violence in a movie, but when it's that personal (and if you've seen the movie, you know just how personal it is!) I find it very disconcerting. The performance was good though, and a couple light-hearted lines made it more bearable.
Now, apart from the prettiness - the eyes - I really think Daniel Craig did a great job. I wasn't anticipating that he would, really, because there's defeinitely been some negative hype! I thought that even the blonde thing would throw me off, but by the end of the movie, I found myself looking forward to the next installment of Bond, which Craig has already signed on to do.
The movie itself was also better than I expected. Now, the last time I went to a Bond movie, my friend and I were in a fairly serious car accident on the way home, so maybe my standards for the evening weren't that high, but I really liked it. It wasn't life changing - I don't expect that from any action movie. But I really enjoyed getting to know the character a bit better, and understanding why he behaves the way he does. It even seems to be getting positive reviews. But I'm glad I didn't read them beforehand - I'd rather form my opinion first, and then get stuck in my ways. :-D
So, if you haven't seen it, it's worth a look. And don't worry about being "left behind" - Bond films aren't terribly sequential to begin with, but this one rewinds to the beginning of a franchise. And it's kind of fun to watch such a famous character figure out who he is...to some degree, at least...
Bond: Vodka martini.
Bartender: Shaken or stirred?
Bond: Do I look like I care?

No comments: