Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I've been shot!


H1N1 and the attendant vaccine have been very hot topics lately. I've heard a lot of paranoia about rushed vaccines and how they make you sicker than if you got the actual flu, or other illness consequences. Honestly, though, I think a lot of the panic is just that, and often not well-reasoned. While I don't think the medical establishment is flawless by any means, I think the complete lack of trust that some display is a bit silly!
I have a personal medical adviser in my mum, a nurse with over thirty years experience. When we had to get immunizations in school, I used to make her come in and give me the shots - those public health nurses were none too gentle! She told me last week that she thought I should get both the H1N1 and seasonal flu shots, largely because of a childhood vulnerability of asthma. I talked to my doctor about it yesterday and he advised me to go down to the flu clinic at the mall. The lineup was a bit daunting at first, and the staff member watching the line said the wait was about an hour. Thankfully, it only took me about 15 minutes to get to the nurse, who ended up being a lady I know from church whose sons I have cared for in the nursery. She assured me that she was very gentle and it wouldn't hurt too badly, and it didn't. My left arm's a little sore (I got the H1N1 vaccine in the left and the seasonal vaccine in the right, because H1N1 supposedly hurts more so it was suggested to have that one in my non-dominant hand) and I popped a couple Tylenol earlier, again on Mum's recommendation, but overall I am feeling just fine.
Today, I am thankful that I was able to get the vaccine in a timely manner, and for free, to boot!

1 comment:

Tirzah said...

I'm glad you followed your moms advice and went through with it. Better to be safe than sorry. A 12 year old boy died the other day from Aberdeen. Scary stuff.

I still need to get Austin in to the doc and get him taken care of...prolly myself too! :)