Monday, November 23, 2009

The Way To Make It Work

I've discovered over the years that I am very good at planning things out: budgets, timelines, to-do lists, really life in general! Unfortunately, where I fall flat is on following through on all these brilliant plans.
I sat down tonight to plan out the next week, down to hourly accounting and all sorts of goals, with all my appointments in there for good measure. I look at it, and everything feels pretty achievable, but then I fall just a little bit short of those goals. All of a sudden it's all overwhelming but instead of tackling it in those bite-sized chunks into which I've broken it down (How do you eat an elephant?) I simply become entirely daunted by the enormity of it all and hide away intellectually and emotionally. I'll sleep or read or watch mindless TV, and that just feeds the stress machine and makes me even more angry with myself and to feel even less like I can conquer the mountain (or molehill!)
So what do you do when the t0-do list threatens? I've found this list pretty useful, in theory, but have a hard time applying even that. What works for you? Lay it on me!
Oh, and today? I'm thankful that I'm going to bed. Now. Here's hoping for a really good and restful sleep! Cheers!

1 comment:

Daniel Taverne said...

Sometimes, you have to prioritize. Sometimes I have to force myself to stay on track with some plan I made for myself. But, you know the saying, "If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans."